Apresentar aqui

Registar aqui

Participe do fórum, é rápido e fácil

Game Design Portugal
Olá bem vindo a comunidade GDPT, se quiseres te:

Apresentar aqui

Registar aqui
Game Design Portugal
Gostaria de reagir a esta mensagem? Crie uma conta em poucos cliques ou inicie sessão para continuar.
Últimos assuntos
» Aulas de programaçao gratuitas em Lisboa para adolescentes
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptyQui Nov 21, 2013 9:51 pm por Talmeida

» Lista Actualizada de Empresas Portuguesas 14/11/2013
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptyQui Nov 14, 2013 10:17 pm por IuriMonteiro

» Restart - Game Design
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptyQua Set 11, 2013 8:23 am por IuriMonteiro

» ZombieApocalift
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptyTer Set 10, 2013 5:24 pm por IuriMonteiro

» Nova GamePlay
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptyQua Ago 28, 2013 2:14 am por easygamesproduction

» Programador Procura Conselhos
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptySex Ago 02, 2013 5:45 am por easygamesproduction

» Unity 4 -Serie: Crie Seu Jogo de RPG 3D
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptySex Ago 02, 2013 5:20 am por easygamesproduction

» Videojogos portugueses - Portugal Aqui Tão Perto
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptySex maio 31, 2013 7:39 am por IuriMonteiro

» Rayman Origins
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptyDom maio 19, 2013 11:45 am por IuriMonteiro

» Last of Us
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptySáb maio 18, 2013 11:16 am por IuriMonteiro

» Lista de todas as empresas portuguesas
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptySex maio 10, 2013 8:09 pm por IuriMonteiro

» Chrome World Wide Maze
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptyDom Mar 24, 2013 4:26 pm por IuriMonteiro

» Brigade - Real-time path tracing engine - WIP
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptyDom Mar 24, 2013 4:24 pm por IuriMonteiro

» Novo jogo da Battlesheep: Bounty Monkey
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptyDom Mar 24, 2013 4:06 pm por IuriMonteiro

» Unreal Engine 3
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptySeg Mar 04, 2013 11:37 am por Diogo86

» Where can I sell my Indie PC game?
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptySáb Nov 17, 2012 4:44 pm por IuriMonteiro

» When Players Make the Rules: On Memes and the Meta-Game
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptySáb Nov 17, 2012 4:41 pm por IuriMonteiro

» Electronic Arts COO Fights to Lead the New Game Industry
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptyDom Nov 04, 2012 3:36 pm por IuriMonteiro

» Miniclip - Game Designer
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptyDom Nov 04, 2012 3:31 pm por IuriMonteiro

» Miniclip - Studio Manager
Interview: Kellee Santiago EmptyDom Nov 04, 2012 3:30 pm por IuriMonteiro

Interview: Kellee Santiago

Ir para baixo

Interview: Kellee Santiago Empty Interview: Kellee Santiago

Mensagem por IuriMonteiro Qua Jun 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Kellee Santiago is best known as the co-founder and president of Thatgamecompany. Formerly a student at the Tisch School of the Arts of New York City, she eventually moved on to the University of Southern California where she acquired a master's degree in the Interactive Media Program of the School of Cinematic Arts. There, she met Jenova Chen and moved on to help produce a variety of award-winning games beginning with Cloud, her debut title and the game that would convince her and Jenova Chen to pursue their dreams in the industry further.

A strong advocate of the idea that video games can "create a wider range of experiences than are typically shown", Kellee Santiago has spoken extensively about the matter at various venues. Serene and unusual, the games -- such as Flow and Flower -- developed by Thatgamecompany definitely reflect upon those principles. This seems to be most especially true with their latest production, the aptly-named Journey. In development for the PlayStation 3, Journey is set amidst enormous, shifting landscapes filled with sand and the ruins of an ancient civilization.

Earlier this year, Santiago returned to the New York Game Center to give a talk about "Challenges in Evoking Unique Emotions in Video Games" as part of the Center's ongoing Lecture Series; an intriguing choice of topic given the emotional depth expected of Journey. This interview with GameCareerGuide was conducted after the event had concluded.

What is a game to you? What is your definition of something worth playing and investigating? What criteria does it have to meet before it becomes something satisfactory to you?

Kellee Santiago: A game is an interactive experience that offers designed scenarios meant to engage the audience and present concepts and emotions through the interactions. I get bored really easily, so something that is worth playing, for me, has to be something that is presenting a new idea, a new scenario, and new way of interacting, and/or is a game that has been executed at the highest quality. I guess that makes me kind of sound like a snob, but it's really just due to a short attention span. In order to be "satisfactory," to me, I want to be able to feel the artistry and craft in the experience. I think when you play a game that has been loved by its developers, you can feel it.

Is there a difference between a good game and a good commercial game? If so, what do you think are the necessary components of making an excellent commercial game? Do certain things need to be sacrificed, or do you think there's a way to appeal to everyone?

KS: I don't think those things have to be the same, no. But that's primarily due to the intentions of the developer, in my opinion. Games are a great medium, because you get that direct feedback as to whether what you've made is landing with your audience. They are either playing or they're not; they're paying for your game, or they're not. I do not think you have to sacrifice your vision to make a commercially successful game, especially with commercial distribution. That is, unless your vision is dependent on having millions of dollars to execute or if you are unwilling to change your idea even when playtesters are telling you the game is terrible.

Interview: Kellee Santiago C7b97f597447451da402cef51bd86d35

There's a lot of talk these days about games have slowly lost a sense of definition and have become clones of one another. Do you believe this is true? If so, why do you think it happens and what do you think can be done to change this?

KS: People are just now talking about that? I'm pretty sure people have been saying that for decades now. And that's usually by people who aren't paying attention. Yes, there are a lot of similarities between most AAA titles, as has been the case for awhile. But in games in general? There is so much diversity in experiences available to players today. Of course, as I mentioned above, I always wish there was more!

Kellee Santiago is best known as the co-founder and president of Thatgamecompany. Formerly a student at the Tisch School of the Arts of New York City, she eventually moved on to the University of Southern California where she acquired a master's degree in the Interactive Media Program of the School of Cinematic Arts. There, she met Jenova Chen and moved on to help produce a variety of award-winning games beginning with Cloud, her debut title and the game that would convince her and Jenova Chen to pursue their dreams in the industry further.

A strong advocate of the idea that video games can "create a wider range of experiences than are typically shown", Kellee Santiago has spoken extensively about the matter at various venues. Serene and unusual, the games -- such as Flow and Flower -- developed by Thatgamecompany definitely reflect upon those principles. This seems to be most especially true with their latest production, the aptly-named Journey. In development for the PlayStation 3, Journey is set amidst enormous, shifting landscapes filled with sand and the ruins of an ancient civilization.

Earlier this year, Santiago returned to the New York Game Center to give a talk about "Challenges in Evoking Unique Emotions in Video Games" as part of the Center's ongoing Lecture Series; an intriguing choice of topic given the emotional depth expected of Journey. This interview with GameCareerGuide was conducted after the event had concluded.

What is a game to you? What is your definition of something worth playing and investigating? What criteria does it have to meet before it becomes something satisfactory to you?

Kellee Santiago: A game is an interactive experience that offers designed scenarios meant to engage the audience and present concepts and emotions through the interactions. I get bored really easily, so something that is worth playing, for me, has to be something that is presenting a new idea, a new scenario, and new way of interacting, and/or is a game that has been executed at the highest quality. I guess that makes me kind of sound like a snob, but it's really just due to a short attention span. In order to be "satisfactory," to me, I want to be able to feel the artistry and craft in the experience. I think when you play a game that has been loved by its developers, you can feel it.

Interview: Kellee Santiago Sant_journey1

Is there a difference between a good game and a good commercial game? If so, what do you think are the necessary components of making an excellent commercial game? Do certain things need to be sacrificed, or do you think there's a way to appeal to everyone?

KS: I don't think those things have to be the same, no. But that's primarily due to the intentions of the developer, in my opinion. Games are a great medium, because you get that direct feedback as to whether what you've made is landing with your audience. They are either playing or they're not; they're paying for your game, or they're not. I do not think you have to sacrifice your vision to make a commercially successful game, especially with commercial distribution. That is, unless your vision is dependent on having millions of dollars to execute or if you are unwilling to change your idea even when playtesters are telling you the game is terrible.

There's a lot of talk these days about games have slowly lost a sense of definition and have become clones of one another. Do you believe this is true? If so, why do you think it happens and what do you think can be done to change this?

KS: People are just now talking about that? I'm pretty sure people have been saying that for decades now. And that's usually by people who aren't paying attention. Yes, there are a lot of similarities between most AAA titles, as has been the case for awhile. But in games in general? There is so much diversity in experiences available to players today. Of course, as I mentioned above, I always wish there was more!

Everything we've heard, known or seen about Journey implies that you're attempting to take on a different stance with the game. Above all else, what is the core concept/emotion that you seek to impart on the public with Journey and what steps have you taken to accomplish that?

KS: Well, we've talked some in the past about the genesis of the idea for Journey, but I don't want to tell people how they should feel while they are playing the game. We have an idea of what we're trying to get across -- it would be cheating to feed that to our players before they get to experience it for themselves.

Your work and talks have reminded me a lot of the "notgames" movement that is gathering steam in motion. If you have heard of the idea, what do you think or feel about it?

KS: Yes, I really adore the Tale of Tales developers, who are behind that movement. I think it's fantastic to broaden our dialogue around games and interactive entertainment.

What do you feel is necessary to assist gamers in breaking out from their own conditioning? What do you think limits people most in terms of their ability to accept new ideas? More importantly, what do you feel is necessary to create games capable of appealing to both the hardcore gamer and the casual individual?

KS: I think gamers are, by their very nature, an open and experimental bunch. They love trying new things and aren't afraid of failure or disappointment. In order to appeal to a wide audience, you just have to make something good. It's not an easy thing to do, necessarily, but it's amazing to me how much people try and get away with doing everything but this in order to attract gamers.

IuriMonteiro
IuriMonteiro
Admin
Admin

EXP : 6115
Kudos : 1

https://gamedesign.forumeiros.net

Ir para o topo Ir para baixo

Ir para o topo